The Marion County Judicial Selection Committee will begin conducting interviews of 41 applicants for three Marion County trial court judicial positions next week. The interviews and vote will take place over three days in the FUSE West conference room on the second floor of the South Tower at Capital Center (201 N. Illinois St., Indianapolis, IN 46204). The public is welcome to attend.
The interviews are set to begin August 31 and conclude on September 2. After the final executive session, a public vote will be held. The Committee will then announce its recommendations on the Committee website and twitter.com/incourts. The recommendations are sent to the Governor who makes the final selection on filling the vacancies.
The full interview schedule is online. Adjustments may be made throughout the day. There is limited seating, appropriate social distancing measures, and these guidelines:
- Refrain from activities that might distract from the interview process
- Questioning of the applicants is reserved for the Committee
- Enter and exit the room only between interviews
- Set up audio/video recording equipment before or in between interviews (no mult box provided)
- Artificial lighting shall not be used
- Media/public may interview applicants before/after Committee interview outside the room at the applicant’s discretion
The application process for the vacancies was initially announced in February with subsequent scheduling adjustments due to the pandemic.
The 14-member Committee was established by the Indiana General Assembly in 2017 and is chaired by Indiana Supreme Court Justice Mark Massa and Vice-Chair Court of Appeals of Indiana Chief Judge Cale Bradford. Indiana law provides the framework for the duties and membership of the Committee.