(Greencastle, Ind.) Putnam County officials announced today that there are currently 58 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the county.
Additional updates include:
- Governor Holcomb’s recent executive order allows health care providers and facilities to resume elective medical procedures. This includes our own Putnam County
“Please do not ignore your health out of fear of going to the hospital or to your health care provider,” said Dr. Keith Landry, Putnam County Hospital. “Ignoring chronic conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or even your regular physicals and well checks, can put you at greater risk for health concerns in the future.”
- IU researcher and ISDH are testing Putnam County residents as part of statewide COVID-19 study. The Indiana State Department of Health is collaborating with the Indiana University Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health at IUPUI to conduct a scientific study to measure the spread of COVID-19 throughout the state. This is a legitimate scientific study, and if you have been contacted to participate, please give it consideration. You will likely see testing occurring in the community this week. Here’s more information: https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/04/iupui/releases/23-isdh- partner-covid19-study-testing-hoosiers-indiana.html
- Wear a mask in public when performing essential duties. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, such as grocery stores and pharmacies. Remember to always socially distance when performing these functions. Here’s more from the CDC: cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent- getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html/
- Contact Putnam County’s Masked Mommas if you need a mask. Our dedicated community volunteers have made and distributed thousands of masks. Visit https://www.facebook.com/Putnam-County-Mask-Mommas-Sew-Serve- 100134314992282/ to connect with
It is imperative individuals take action to avoid COVID-19 to prevent its spread. A number of preventive steps include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60%
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, especially with unwashed
- Avoid close contact with people who are showing symptoms of
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and
- Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or sneeze into your
- Throw the tissue in the garbage and make sure to clean your hands
- Stay home when you are
- Wear face coverings in public when performing essential
- We are all in this
Putnam County is providing regular updates on COVID-19 to citizens as part of its effort to complement the daily updates from the Indiana State Dept. of Health. The updates can be accessed via www.coronavirus.in.gov. According to the ISDH, the number of tests is provisional and reflects only those reported to ISDH. Numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
To learn more about Putnam County’s coordinated response to COVID-19, please visit the Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates or the Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org.