(Greencastle, Ind.) Putnam County officials provided a daily COVID-19 update to the public today, which includes an increase in confirmed cases.
Currently, there are 25 confirmed cases in Putnam County. The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) has begun sharing the number of individuals who have been tested on its website. According to the ISDH, the number of tests is provisional and reflects only those reported to ISDH. Numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
Additional updates include:
- Mental health resources for county residents. Putnam County Hospital’s team is sharing resources to help the community navigate these challenging times. Visit pchosp.org to learn more.
- Wear face coverings in public when performing essential duties. The CDC wants people to wear face coverings in public when it’s tough to maintain social distancing, like grocery shopping and picking up prescriptions. You can still wear an N95 or medical grade surgical mask if you already have one, but please refrain from purchasing or hoarding medical grade masks that could otherwise go to healthcare
Here’s how to make a mask, from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019- ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
- Putnam County’s ‘Masked Mommas,’ have made nearly 2,000 masks for county healthcare professionals and essential workers. These dedicated volunteers are working around the clock to fulfill orders. Visit their Facebook page to learn
How can you thank a healthcare professional? We’re working on a way to do it virtually! During this unprecedented time, the support and prayers that Putnam County Hospital has received is very much appreciated. For the safety of our staff, patients, and community we ask that you send any thank you, videos, or signs via (put the link in here). We will send these messages of encouragement out to staff and put them throughout the facility. Thank you to all of those that have reached out to show support for our staff, they are the heart of Putnam County Hospital. https://pchosp.org/thankyoupch.
It is imperative individuals take action to avoid COVID-19 to prevent its spread. A number of preventive steps include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60%
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, especially with unwashed
- Avoid close contact with people who are showing symptoms of
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and
- Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or sneeze into your
- Throw the tissue in the garbage and make sure to clean your hands
- Stay home when you are
- We are all in this
Putnam County is providing regular updates on COVID-19 to citizens as part of its effort to complement the daily updates from the ISDH. The ISDH updates occur at 10 a.m. and can be accessed via www.coronavirus.in.gov. Please refer to the above statement regarding the number of tests the ISDH lists on its website.
To learn more about Putnam County’s coordinated response to COVID-19, please visit the Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates or the Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org.