Vermillion County – March 29, 2020, at approximately 9:00 a.m., Senior Trooper Chuck Murphy was patrolling in the area of State Road 63 and County Road 450 South, when he stopped a 2019 KIA for speeding in excess of one hundred miles per hour and unsafe lane movement. The driver was identified as Alena M. Benoit, age 27, of Kankakee, Illinois. Further investigation by Senior Trooper Murphy determined that Benoit displayed signs of impairment and that she had a blood alcohol content of .15%. While Benoit was being processed into the Vermillion County jail, an inventory was conducted on her personal bag. During this inventory it was discovered that Benoit was in possession of methamphetamine, marijuana, and a schedule 4 substance. Benoit was arrested and is currently being held in the Vermillion County Jail.
Arrested and Charges: Alena M. Benoit, 27, Kankakee, IL
- Possession of Methamphetamine, Felony 6
- Operating a Vehicle With a BAC .15% or more, Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession Schedule 4 Controlled Substance, Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of Marijuana, Class B Misdemeanor
- Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated Endangering a Person, Class C Misdemeanor
All criminal defendants are presumed innocent until, and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.
Photo: Alena M. Benoit