Vigo County – February 9, 2020, at approximately 2:10 a.m., Trooper William Clark was patrolling near Wabash Avenue and 9th street, when he stopped a passenger car for exceeding the posted speed limit. The driver was identified as Aaron D McDaniel, age 26, of Terre Haute, IN. Suspicious activity was detected and a search of the vehicle was conducted. Trooper Clark located marijuana and a handgun that was in McDaniel’s possession. During a records check, it was discovered that McDaniel did not possess a valid handgun license. Further investigation by Trooper Clark also revealed that McDaniel displayed signs of impairment. McDaniel refused to submit to any standard field sobriety test and also to a certified chemical test. McDaniel was arrested and taken into custody and transported to the Vigo County Jail where he is currently being held without bond.
Arrested and Charges: Aaron D. McDaniel, 26, Terre Haute
- Operating a vehicle while intoxicated endangering a person (refusal), Class A Misdemeanor
- Operating a vehicle with a schedule I or II substance (refusal), Class C Misdemeanor
- Possession of marijuana (with prior conviction), Class 6 Felony
- Maintaining a Common Nuisance, Class 6 Felony
- Carrying a handgun without a license, Class A Misdemeanor
Assisting: Putnamville State Troopers Brad Fyfe, Daniel VanDuyn and Athan Lamson.
All criminal defendants are presumed innocent until, and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.
Photo: Aaron D. McDaniel, items seized