“Operation Safe Family Travel”
The Thanksgiving holiday period is traditionally one of the busiest travel periods of the year. Indiana State Police want to remind every motorist the importance of driving responsibly during this holiday period, which officially starts tomorrow. Troopers will be participating in Operation C.A.R.E. (Combined Accident Reduction Effort), which is a federally funded project and will allow additional troopers to patrol area highways through Sunday. Troopers will be aggressively observing for moving violations, dangerous and impaired drivers and for those drivers and passengers not buckling up.
Last year during the Thanksgiving holiday period, 12 fatal crashes occurred on Indiana roadways. The Indiana State Police encourages everyone to do their part to help reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities over this holiday period. Please drive responsibly!
Troopers are encouraging all motorists to obey these simple safety tips:
- Ensure you are well rested, especially if you have plans to travel a long distance. A fatigued driver is a dangerous driver and often mimics the driving behavior of an impaired driver.
- Avoid driving distracted. Please don’t use your cellphone while driving.
- Avoid “hanging out” in the left lane on multiple lane highways.
- Always follow other motorists at a safe distance.
- Obey all speed limits and use your turn signals.
- Ensure everyone is buckled up.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- If you have plans to consume alcohol, please ensure you have a plan to get you and your family home safely.