The Putnam County Commissioners went into their first twice-monthly meeting with a focus on the coming year. The new year will bring 27 payrolls for the commissioners instead of 26, which will leave their payroll divided through an extra pay period. In the long run it equals the same amount of money, it will just leave each paycheck a bit smaller.
The county offices will be closed the following days in addition to the weekends in 2019:
New Year’s Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1; Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, Jan. 21; Good Friday, April 19; Primary Election Day, Tuesday, May 7; Memorial Day, Monday, May 27; Independence Day, Thursday, July 4; Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 2; Columbus Day, Monday, Oct. 14; General Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 5; Veterans Day, Monday, Nov. 11; Thanksgiving, Thursday and Friday, Nov. 28 and 29; Christmas luncheon (close at noon), Monday, Dec. 23; Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 24 and 25; and New Year’s Eve (close at noon), Tuesday, Dec. 31.
The commissioners will hold their meetings on the first floor of the courthouse at 9 a.m. on the first and third Monday of each month.
The following bids for various services were also submitted in the recent meeting:
• Gravel, stone, sand: Whitesville Mill, Crawfordsville; S&G Excavating (Lincoln Park Stone), Terre Haute; NALC (243 Quarry), Putnamville; Harris Stone, Bainbridge; Hanson Aggregates Midwest, Cloverdale; U.S. Aggregates, Indianapolis; Martin Marietta, Cloverdale.
• Contractor: Trisler Construction, Cloverdale.
• Hot mix asphalt: Wabash Valley Asphalt, Terre Haute; Day O’Mara, Brazil.
• Liquid asphalt materials and bituminous: Marathon Petroleum, Asphalt Materials Inc., Rockville.
• Road striping: MGI Traffic Control Products.
• Signs: Stello Products, Spencer; Hall Signs, Bloomington; Osburn Associates, Logan, Ohio.
• Bridges, culverts: E&H Bridge and Grading, Bedford; Keith Henderson, Coatesville; St. Regis Culvert, Indianapolis; Civil Con Inc.; Metal Culverts, Jefferson City, Mo.
• Treated Timber Bridges: American Timber Bridge, Portage, Mich.
• Fuel: Co-Alliance.
USI Consultants was approved as the county’s consultant for bridge inspections for the next for years. This approval will help keep the 222 bridges across the county inspected and up to standards at the cost of $99, 309.75 per year.